Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chemo isn't Working



Had my biopsy yesterday. Which was very easy and virtually pain free. Unfortunately the results are not so good. We met with my doctors this afternoon and it seems the chemo has not put me into remission this time around. I have 15% blasts in my marrow. This was very unexpected and, as you can imagine, very disappointing. It seems another blow preventing me from getting to transplant stage. However, there is still an option open to me. The doctors have recommended a trial chemo that has proven very succesful in getting patients into remission. It will be a chemo that my body does not recognise so hopefully the drugs can sneak attack the disease allowing me a window to get to transfusion. This was the last thing we expected when planning to come over here for the treatment. It seems Leukaemia doesn't act according to plan.

We have arranged for Jack to come over to see us next Friday. A friend from school is flying over with her kids (Hana and Maya) and had kindly offered to bring him along. Jack is in class with Hana so hopefully it will feel like a bit of an extended school trip. I think it is important he is with us now. Sam will certainly enjoy his company again. Even though it seems I will have to be an in-patient for this treatment and won't be able to do much with him; I know he will still be happy just being around us both again.

1 comment:

PJ said...

Chin up, Graham. I,too, had to have an experimental cocktail to get back into remission pre-transplant. You're in good hands at the Hutch. It will be nice to have a visit from Jack. Enjoy.