Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chemo's Finished



Hello. I'm back again. Now the chemo has finished so have the anti-nausea drugs so not feeling so drowsy anymore. Trouble is, now it seems to have had the reverse effect; so that last night I only slept for about 3 hours! As you can no doubt not see, unless you possess the eyesight of a Peregrine Falcon, the screen shot of my counts above now indicates that I am neutrapaenic. My counts have dropped, so now is the waiting game for them to return and have another biopsy to see if I am in a good remission phase again. This will hopefully only take a couple of weeks. Then we can start the transplant procedure. The chemo hasn't hit me too hard, which was the idea really, not to knock me around too much before a nasty dose pre-transplant. My appettite is okay and I don't feel too exhausted by it. I must admit time seems to be dragging somewhat now that I can't really get out anymore. Thankfully, had some 'Top Gear' (the UK TV show - not illlegal substances!) to watch on DVD to keep me in good spirits. With no HBO channel in the apartment you find yourself searching over 70 stations in a desperate attempt to watch a least one reasonably good show. Okay, I admit Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' is excellent but he's a diamond in the rough. Or should that be rough diamond in his case? If you've read his books you know how cool this man is...and genuine. Highly recommended.

Current Reading: 'It's Not About The Bike' by Lance Armstrong
Current Listening: 'Snakes & Arrows Live' by Rush

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Graham... blast from the past here... Alan Cooley... he of Backroom Boys fame... you're favourite band, right!

I'm sure I've still got the cutting from the Beds Express when you did a Q&A, back in your Feline Groove days (or perhaps even Cradlesnatchers!)... with an (ok Alan?) in brackets after naming us as your favourite local band! I'm 40 this year... a long time ago now.

I recently found out about your illness when I heard about the gig the Quireboys did in Bedford recently, which unfortunately I couldn't make.

I've been catching up on it all via facebook and your website and now your blog.

I just wish you all the luck in the world mate, I really do.

It's impossible for me to imagine what you are going through but you seem to have some very strong and loving people around you, which must be so important.

I can just add these words of support, all the way from blighty.

London has been my home now for the last 12 years or so, hence not catching much news from Bedford. Although I still catch up with Mugs occasionally and bump into Dan at the train station! Not seen Guy for a while but I hear the band are playing again...

So I'll be keeping tabs on you now mate. Be strong. All the best.

Alan

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan,

Good Lord! What a blast from the past. Thanks for your email. Charly sent me an photo from the Esquires gig; everyone looks pretty much the same - only Dan looks a bit redder! When I'm back in Bedford I usually only see Garry Johnson, Martin or Guy. I think Garry was the only person who never moved away from Bedford, he's been at the same job for 25 years now! Sean moved up to Kiddermister and has 2 kids now. He puts on the mature farmer persona when you meet him then after 5 minutes he's back to his old self!

Are you still working for the Times?

Feeling pretty good at the moment. Just waiting on a bone marrow biopsy this Thursday to see how things are before we can progress any further.

Cheers,
Graham.