Sunday, May 4, 2008

Vol 1, No. 2



Well, here we are at week two already. Time - as always - is speeding by. Had another round of tests during the week: Lumber puncture (or Spinal Tap - thoughts of 'Stonehenge' or the more obvious 'Big Bottom' did not come to mind at the time!) to test for Leukaemia in the spinal fluid (results were clear - thankfully), the usual blood tests and yet another bone marrow biopsy on Friday. We decided the biopsy was a very good idea to see how the Leukaemia had progressed since last week. Unfortunately, the result shows it has more than doubled to 4.7% blasts. Although clinically still in remission - barely - it was possible to start a standard double cord transplant on Thursday. However, I feel the increased risk of relapsing post transplant with Leukaemia present at transplant is a risk not worth taking. So we have decided to have another round of chemo prior to transplant conditioning to kick these cells out. This means we can progress with the expanded cord blood transplant; which is the reason we came here in the first place. It does mean an extended stay of course, but I feel it is not worth compromising the long term results. Not sure exactly what the plan will be for the coming week as we decided late on Friday afternoon to go with this option. I imagine a central line will be inserted tomorrow and chemo will begin pretty soon. This will mean a week in hospital and then recovery at home with daily out-patient visits to the clinic.

Apart from the clinic visits during the week we have managed to get out a few times. We took a walk up to the Queen Anne district for a view of the mountain range that sits behind us (and can't be seen from where we are). It reminded me of San Francisco, tons of steps to reach the top of the hill. An old (for here) school was at the top which has been converted into apartments. Sam, being the brash Australian that she is, unlike me the cynical Brit, asked if we could go to the top for a good view. Surprisingly, they gave us the keys, so we got a stunning look at the Cascade Mountain range. Had a bite to eat at Noah's Bagel's (who seem to offer the best bagel's in Seattle). We then took a walk down to the Space Needle to take the monorail into the city. The monorail seems like a lot of effort for a 5 minute journey - a bit like the one in Sydney. Rather pointless really. I thought it would be full of tourists; seemed like a lot of locals. People really do not like walking here. Though I admit it is made difficult to get around in some areas. If you do try to go for a walk you suddenly find a highway blocking your way with no obvious pedestrian access to the other side - most odd.

I had an email yesterday from the daughter of a fellow patient at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne to tell me that her mother, Lynne Horvat, had died on Friday. This was extremely upsetting as I became friends with Lynne during my initial hospital stay back in April last year. She had been admitted the same day as me which made things even more poignant. Lynne had also been re-admitted the same time as me in February this year as she had shown signs of relapse following transplant in October last year. I visited her in March to see how she was doing, she appeared well, although her blood counts were starting to fall. She emailed me recently after hearing about the 'A Current Affair' feature on TV. She was still so positive and there were still options open to her at the time. I had been thinking about her on Thursday as I was concerned that I hadn't heard from her for a few weeks. She seemed like my fellow traveller on this difficult journey. Rest In Peace Lynne. I'll miss you.

Thankfully, I had the distraction yesterday (Saturday) of meeting up with the lovely (English and South African) expatriate duo of Ruth and Louis and their daughter Naomi. They treated us to a lovely lunch of smoked salmon bagels (Noah's again!) at their house over in Mercer Island; a very nice suburb. I've never seen so many perfect lawns. I'm sure the neighbours refuse to speak to you if a weed appears. Seriously, it was great to get away from here and spend some time with people not connected with my treatment. We also shared an excellent Japanese meal with them. So an Indian meal to say thank you is on the cards when I get out of hospital (amazingly, peshwari nan bread is available here; if that can't inspire me to get well - then nothing can!).

Had a wander up to the Experience Museum today (pic above). I was tempted to cross the freeway like a game of 'Frogger', instead I behaved responsibly and spent 10 mins trying to find a crossroad. The museum is excellent. They change the Hendrix exhibition every two years (they have enough exhibits for the next 100 years - as we won't live to see this you'd think they would hold a larger exhibition?). Guitars, whole and in fragments, lyrics and some stage outfits on show (the butterfly outfit from the 'Isle of Wight' show). I also enjoyed the 'Grunge' exhibit plus some local metal band stuff (lot's of obscure albums I remember buying in the early 80's) and seeing some of Heart's old costumes. I could have got my hands around Nancy Wilsons waist - now there's a thought! The Science Fiction museum is next door. Loads of costumes, props and models from Star Trek, Terminator, Blade Runner and - oh yes - Logan's Run and the original Planet of the Apes. There seemed to be a complete absence of British Sci-Fi until I came across a can of 'Red Dwarf' lager and the Cat's costume (complete with golden pointy boots). One of the best things I saw was a poster for 'The Rocketeer'. A brilliant pastiche of art deco advertising.

I'll try to update daily from now on. Promise.

Current Reading: 'I Me Mine' by George Harrison
Current Listening: 'Exciter' by Depeche Mode
Currently Eating: Crab Sushi Rolls

3 comments:

OzPom said...

No Doctor Who stuff??? most disappointing! Although the Cats boots would have made up for it a little - There were very cool if memory serves me right - not sure though if the humour of Red Dwarf "translates" well into American....

damogong said...

hey gray, sounds like everything is going well over there mate. getting to do a bit of touristy stuff. that disease sure moves fast. i am sure the chemo will "exterminate" it all then the transplant and back home in no time. all is well over here, back to work etc, or what Jen likes to call our "mundane life". she is so positive. she actually shed a couple of tears when we had to come from the honeymoon. oh well. say hi to mam for me, hope she is getting a bit of relaxation time, she deserves it. will call towards the end of the week to see how everything is going. may the force be with you.

Graham said...

No Doctor Who (apart from a picture of Tom Baker and Daleks on the Sci-Fi wall montage). Can you believe they ignored the greatest (cough!)Sci-Fi show of all time - Blake's 7? No bacofoil Avon underpants or polystyrene Liberator model. They did have Twikie's costume from 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' - class!