Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rollercoaster Ride


Been a bit of a rollercoaster ride during the last week. The doctors suggested trying a different form of chemo that could potentially put me in remission. Because of the infection in the lungs I was told the transplant wasn't possible - at this stage - as the infection feeds off the radiation. Also, my chances post transplant were given as a 5% chance of survivng the year. Ho Hum!

Anyway, had another biopsy on Wednesday and now the results are looking promising! The flow is down to 3% and the morphology is between 6 - 10%; down from 25%. I still can't go to transplant just yet as the risks are too high. But at least the last lot of chemo actually had a positive effect. All these early bone marrow biopsy's caused a great deal of confusion. We were all ready to go home and prepare for the end on Wednesday. Then on Thursday everything changes. My chances of survival are also moving upwards now.

I had a further CT scan on Friday and it shows the two spots on my lungs are responding to treatment. One is now half the size while the other has reduced. There is something else that has appeared - they think is blood - so I will have to have another CT on Wednesday to check before we can go to anymore chemo.

I actually feel a lot better than I did last week. My cough has reduced and I don't feel the pressure on my chest that I felt before. My appetite is normal again and energy levels are very good.

The good thing is I can spend the last few days with Jack before he goes home on Thursday evening. We went up the Space Needle on Friday as - at last - it was a beautiful clear day. Also, went to the Science Fiction Museum and the Science Center again. He wasn't too impressed with the Science Fiction Museum; apart from the Death Star from Star Wars. He loved going to the Science Center again as there is loads of hands-on stuff to do. Sam took him kayaking today around Lake Union/Portage Bay - I watched from the sidelines - Jack left it to Sam to do most of the work and she was exhausted when they got back. Hoping to take him to the Baseball tomorrow night as the Mariners are back in town. If he doesn't enjoy the game he'll like the hotdogs!

Current Reading: 'The Grand Illusion: Love, Lies and my life with Styx' by Chuck Panozzo
Current Listening: 'Earth and Sun and Moon' by Midnight Oil
Currently Eating: McVities Caramels (a good dunking biscuit - slightly risky with the caramel center though!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham, I am keeping up with your progress on the L&L board. We are all pulling for you, and I hope to hear good news this week. That is great that you were able to do some fun things this week, and spend time with your family. Keep staying strong, nicole
www.caringbridge.org/visit/welovebev

PJ said...

Jack looks so happy in the photos. Keep the good news coming.

OzPom said...

glad to hear you have had some good news...thinking of you all this end!